Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Make This Your Best Year Yet!

These last two days have been amazing and overwhelming and awesome and just a little scary....  These days have been my first 2 days as a new teacher in the Lancaster Community Schools District. They have been filled with so many different emotions.  
Yesterday began in the Winskill Presentation Room.  While this should have felt very natural for me, I was NERVOUS.  I have been in that room many times for different events that involved my kiddos.  Yesterday was different.  It was about taking a risk and making a change.  That time in the presentation room meant that I needed to own my new position.  I was now a 4th grade teacher at Winskill!!!

The morning was led by Mrs. Strobush.  What an energy and passion she brings.  All the new staff members introduced themselves via a pinky shake activity and then we opened our bag of goodies and shared with our tables what all the above items could mean.  

There were some words by administration and we met for a bit with Mrs. Whitford.  Then Ms. Uppena led a little Kahoot activity to check what we knew about Lancaster Community Schools.  Before long it was time to board a bus and tour the community.  The tour ended at the high school for lunch.    Did I mention that we were given a TB skin test, too?  Yep.  

We had some time to work in our rooms and then we met again in the presentation room for a little Q and A session with last year's new staff.  

While it would have been easy to go home after the first day and hibernate in the air conditioning of my house, I took another risk and went to the potluck on Monday Evening.  It was wonderful to visit with new coworkers and still be home by 7 (wanted to watch the Emmy's (although I really couldn't tell you today any of the winners....I was trying to multi-task while watching TV)!! 

Today it was exciting to get back up and go to work right here in the community where we live!!!  It is a huge deal and I do feel lucky.  My "luck" got even better.  I got to ride up to the high school with a kind coworker who I look forward to spending time with.  I got to eat breakfast beside a teacher that I admire and adore.  AND THEN.....

We heard the words of Mr. Jimmy Casas.

I took notes  HERE.

Since the day was still young, we walked to Memorial Park for lunch.  We returned to the high school for some SLO work.

It was wonderful to wrap up the day with a shower for Kate's 5th grade teacher.  I was glad to hug my kiddos when I got home, but I wouldn't have changed a thing.  These past 2 days have eased my worries and reassured me that THIS IS WHERE I AM MEANT TO BE!!!  This is going to be the Best School Year Yet! 

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you officially a Flying Arrow! Your willingness to try new things and share your knowledge with others is so appreciated! (And noticed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for welcoming me and helping me with the transition.

    ReplyDelete