Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What's Working Wednesday


Thank you, Dr. Harper, for being with us today and helping us extend our reading unit. 
Your example of how helping brings out the best in us was just perfect!


In 2011 and 2013, Dr. Harper visited Kenya, Africa to help with a village there.  She will be going back to Kenya again in January 2015.
We loved seeing her photos and hearing about how different things are from life in the United States.


Even after Dr. Harper left the 4th graders still had some wonderful questions and thoughts about what they'd heard.  Abby wrote, "I thought it was really cool that they built a well.  I think the elephant orphanage was nice and kind.  I learned alot.  It's fun to learn about new places.  Africa is cool. My dog, Lucy, loves you and the veterinarians.  Thank you for watching Lucy."

Abrham wrote, "We learned that there is no electricity and that the people there have to walk a ways to the well to get their water.  Their farms are not very big.  They only have 1 or 2 cows.  There are zebras, elephants, and giraffes and even snakes.  They often bring their food to the market and get money for it.  They keep enough at home to feed their families.  They have cell phones and that is their only electric item.  They enjoy their phones like we do.  African kids must love suckers.  Well I love suckers and lots of other candy, too.  I learned that their schools are way different from schools here in the United States.  They have to share desks.  There are also lots of mosquitos.   Shaved heads are normal so that they don't have to wash as often.  I would love to visit Africa.  I would help build schools and create opportunities for those people living there."
I was so impressed with the reflections that my 4th graders made but I am just going to share a few more.  Please feel free to talk with your 4th grader to find out what they learned today.

Mikayla wrote, "Mostly every person was bald.  There are zebras out in the wild like there are deer here.  The kids had to wear school uniforms if they could afford it.  In the elephant orphanage they care for baby elephants.  There are farms that are very small in Kenya, Aftrica.  It is unusual for them to see people with white skin.  The kids learn a different language at home when they are little and then they learn English at school."


Garrett said, " I thought the mosquitos were just like ours but apparently not.  I learned that soccer balls are pretty weird when kids make them from bags that they save.  They really liked the soccer balls that were given to them.  It must be hard as a farmer there.  It seems like they are poor.  I can't imagine having to use your body's power to pull a trailer.  Apparently you might not have a school and you have to work outside.  Your house wouldn't be as nice if you lived in Africa."





Ella's words were very thoughtful.  "I think Kenya is really cool.  You get to help people and see what life is like somewhere different.  The water would be gross though.   I was impressed when they dug the well.  That water looked pretty clean and clear.  The school looked cool.  That's smart that they shave their heads because then you don't have to wash your hair.  I think that it was nice that Dr. Harper took them books, toothbrushes, and suckers.  I wish that I could go to Kenya someday.


All of  the responses were so well written but I am just going to share one more.  Lainee wrote, "I think that Dr. Harper's message was to be thankful for what you have.  It makes me think about what it would be like if I loved in Kenya, Africa.  It would be very hard to live like they do.  At least they have cell phones.  Don't get me wrong, I love my ipad and all but for them to have a phone without electricity is pretty amazing.  I cannot believe that they have to walk all the way down a hill without water to fill the 5 gallon bucket.  I think  it was thoughtful that Dr. Harper and her friends took soccer balls, suckers, and books.  I think it is a good idea to shave your head so you don't have to wash your hair.  I should do that....on second thought, not really.  I would love to go to Kenya and share with others some day."

I am so thankful for the time that Dr. Harper gave to our 4th graders today.  What an awesome gift!

0 comments:

Post a Comment