Tuesday, September 5, 2023

What a Week - Part 2 (Thursday and Friday) - Saturday to be Shared Later

 Thursday morning was set to be a work day.  It was just what I needed so that I could be ready for a full day of students on Friday and the following week.  I was hopeful that I could everything ready for 5 days of instruction by the time Thursday's work day was complete.....FAT CHANCE.  

5 am alarm followed by a 5k before the sun was up, felt like a great way to celebrate the "Because I get to" mantra that continued to play in my head and my heart.  I decided to try calling Medical Associates before I went to work even though it was before 7:30 am.  I was thrilled when the receptionist answered and said that they had a 9:50 orthopedic appointment available with Dr. Rock.  That seemed perfect.  I could take the 8:00 class that my principal was leading in the library and then I could run Will to the doctor.  Everything seemed to be falling into place so nicely. 

Will and I checked in at the kiosk on the 3rd floor of the building and proceeded to the waiting area.  The nurse called us back and I began with the words, "We plan for Will to continue playing no matter what we find out today."  



The nurse did her fact gathering and then left the exam room telling us that Dr. Rock would be in shortly.  When Dr. Rock entered the room, I repeated that we were planning for Will to continue playing as this is his senior season. 


Dr. Rock gave us 4 possibilities of what he thought it was before sending us for an xray:  meniscus tear, broken knee cap, kneecap dislocation, or torn ACL.   Xrays showed no break so Dr. Rock brought in a model of the knee and declared the worst possible outcome:  NO SPORTS.

  We had been up front from the beginning.  Will had been playing and would continue to play.  I was mourning for my son as we left the office.   As we walked out to the car, I could tell that my 17 year old was processing big emotions.  As we drove out of the parking lot and stopped at the first light of te drive, I looked over.  Tears. I reached out and held his hand as he cried.  This felt surreal.  Hours earlier I had been celebrating getting a doctor's appointment so quickly and now I wanted to simply rewind time and never make the appointment.   While driving back to Lancaster, calls were made to the coach and the trainer.  We figured we had 2 options:  sign an AMA waiver or get a 2nd opinion.   With just 27 hours before the big game, it might be impossible to get a 2nd opinion.  

I returned to work and got things started for my school plans, had a grade level meeting, a health needs meeting, and tried to get a little more done while drafting a waiver saying that Will could play football.  By 6:00 I wasn't being very productive at school so I headed home.  I was WIPED out, drained completely.

It was now a waiting game for the legal team to either approve or deny our written request for Will to play that would override the medical note.

I rarely sleep well the night before a new school year and Thursday night had some extra worries so my sleep was nearly nonexistent (43 sleep score according to my Garmin).   

Thankfully, the excitement of the new year helped me rise and shine.  Welcoming the new crew of 5th graders was a great way to start the day.  I am also a huge believer in new beginnings, new months, and choosing JOY, so I let that lead my day.

By 10 am I got the news that the legal department wouldn't allow the waiver to be used.  On to Plan B.  Thanks to an amazing coach, an appointment was made for Will for 3:30 that afternoon.  Roger was able to pick Will up from school and I was able to meet them at the doctor's office right here in town.  There was a glimmer of possibility.

I was able to finish my 1st day of the new school year with the same positive energy that I try to use every day.  As soon as I had dismissed my students for the long weekend, I was moving to the doctor's office to be there for what we were counting on to be good news.

By 4:10 we had the 2nd opinion and we were going to make it to have Will at the football bus in time for the 4:15 departure!!!!!

While it seems like it would be the end from there, it wasn't. 
My nerves were bundled in my heart and my stomach.  With each offensive play, I was on the edge of the bleacher holding my breath until the play was over and Will was still standing on both legs.  Add to that the intensity of playing against a team that was ranked 2nd in the state....  We were first to score: 6 to 0.  Then Prairie was up 7 to 6.  With another score we lead 12 to 7.  The last 6 minutes of the game were intense.  The team pulled off a 28 to 27 win over Prairie du Chien!!!  It was the most exciting win I have seen in all of Will's years playing football.






I'm sure there are details I am forgetting.  I may even add some things later but for now we celebrate!
Our saga continues but I think we are on our way to good things.  
We continue to use lots of ice at our house. 

All of this is just another reminder to do things when you can.  Don't put things off.  
"Because I get to."
Passion!
#headupheartout




0 comments:

Post a Comment