Friday, February 5, 2016

This Week's News


Most weeks we do some close reading with short articles.  The past couple of weeks I have chosen song lyrics to use for our close reads.  It’s been fun to see the excitement that the kids have about the songs, especially when I did Rachel Phlatten’s This is My Fight Song.  This week’s song was VERY different from This is My Fight Song.  This week I chose Rachel Delyvoryas.  The song was the perfect companion for Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson.  There are so many great themes for discussion in both the song and the book:  accepting others’ differences, take a stand, don’t be a bystander, treat others like you’d like to be treated.  As we closed out our day on Thursday we changed up our exit slip a bit.  I asked each 4th grader to write down one kind thing that they had done that day.  My heart swelled as I read some of their answers:  helped a friend at recess, gave a note to my friend who looked really sad, took a book to Miss Johnson when it was turned in at the library instead of returned to her, was quiet so my mom would be happy that nobody was woken up.   Today we celebrated Global Play Day so we only had 2 days of regular routine.  All of our “work” from this week will carry over into next week.  You will find a note about class lists in today’s folder.  It is due back to the office by Monday.  There is also a class list Valentine’s on the back of today’s note.  If you need to get in touch with me, my email is bussanm@lancastersd.k12.wi.us.

Upcoming Events:
FINAL LITTLE ARROWS PRACTICES are on Sunday (February 7) at Lancaster High School.
                                                  Girls from 1 to 2
                                                  Boys from 2 to 3
Thursday, February 11 – Boys Little Arrows Perform at the High School Girls’ game
Friday, February 12 – Classroom Valentine’s Day Party at 2 p.m.
                                                  Girls Little Arrows Perform at the High School Boys’ game

Thursday, February 18 – FOW Wild West Celebration      5 – 7:30p.m.

Our NEWSLETTER is HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment